Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Home birth prep!

When thinking about giving birth, one usually imagines a hospital setting with all the instruments and whatnot. Of course, mom and dad don't have to provide any of that. They just show up, have the baby and don't have to worry about anything. When we (who am I kidding?) When I began planning our home birth, I scoured the internet looking at other peoples' birth kit lists and felt a little overwhelmed. I decided to hold off buying anything until I got Sheryl's recommendations for what was necessary.

Here is all my stuff:

1) 40 XL Disposable underpads (Chux) 30"x36" (for taping to the floor so it doesn't get blood/pee/amniotic fluid on it)
2) Plastic drop cloth to cover mattress
    -I bought three of these: 1 for the bed, 1 for under the pool, and 1 for extra
3) The biggest, baddest, most absorbent Poise pads available (mine are Target brand)
4) Roll of paper towels
5) Container for the placenta, with snap tight lid
    -This is a 13 cup 'family size' Glad container. I could probably fit half a lasagna in here. 
6) A few trash bags. Some for trash. Some for laundry. (I added these to the list)
7) Peroxide (to get blood out of anything it comes in contact with)
8) Flashlight with fresh batteries (for if I'm laboring/birthing at night and a light bulb or the power goes out?)
9) Complete set of clothes for mom
     - A nightgown
     - My favorite cardigan
     - Bra & Undies
     - A pad
10) Complete set of clothes for baby
     - A onesie
     - A diaper 
     - A pair of socks
     - Swaddle blanket

Not Pictured:
- 5-10 bath towels .. closer to 10 if I plan on being in and out of the water much
- Recording equipment
- Food and drink for mom
- Food and drink for labor team

But what if I decide to labor in bed? Remember I mentioned I got a drop cloth for that! 

Looks like a normal bed, doesn't it?

Here is how the bed is prepared: 

The bed is made with 3 fitted sheets right now. 

1) The green sheet (folded back) is what we'll sleep on until labor starts or my water breaks in bed, whichever comes first. I've got one of Stella's old underpads under the sheet on my side of the bed.
The light blue sheet is what will be exposed during labor.
2) It's kind of hard to see, but this is showing the plastic underneath the 'labor' sheet. This plastic is tucked up under the mattress on all sides and held in place by the sheet.
3) Here you can see the plastic pulled back. The dark blue sheet (because it's my favorite set of sheets) is what we'll all snuggle into after baby arrives.
4) This is the waterproof mattress pad we have on our bed all the time.

I'm sure I'll be lying with a few of those chux under me while I'm in bed for a week or so. I do NOT want to have to deal with washing/changing sheets with a newb.

So where is the pool? On the opposite side of the room from our bed.



 You can see the hose, air pump, (blue) tape, and extra top sheets sitting on the couch, too. 

I have some more work to do in the room to create my ultimate birth space. I'll probably hang up some birth affirmations where I can see them around the room. I'll have to update this post with pictures of those when I get them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment