Wednesday, November 19, 2014

DIY Babywearing Coat Zip In Insert

This is my very first tutorial for anything so bear with me through it! 

What you need:
- Sewing machine
- 1/2 yard fleece
- 24" jacket zipper (make sure it fits the coat you'll be using)
- 9" unstretched strip 1/4" braided elastic (for head opening)
- 10" unstretched strip 1/4" braided elastic (for bottom)
- Safety pin or elastic threader














Steps:
 Cut fleece with right sides together to your 1/2 yard is 25" long

Pin the short sides and sew across leaving 1/2" unsewn at the beginning and end of each row. Use about a 1/2" seam allowance

Long sides remain open at this point.

Turn work right side out.
Top stitch 1/2" from the seam still leaving 1/2" unsewn at the beginning and end of each row.

Thread elastic now. Pin in place to hold.

Sew in place where you've pinned.


Pin both zippers in place starting at the bottom and working up. 

Fold any extra material under and tuck in at the top once you get there.

Attach zipper foot to your machine and sew zipper on. This can be done without a zipper foot. Just set your needle position all the way to one side

When you get to the end of the 'female' zipper raise your presser foot and push the zipper back so it's out of the way to continue sewing to the end. Back stitch several times at the beginning and ends of the zippers.



 Zip it in and wear all the babies!!



10 comments:

  1. Alli, Great idea!! I'm having trouble with the zipper. I can't seem to find one that fits my jacket.... Any ideas?

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked through sweatshirts at goodwill and found a match to my Columbia sweatshirt

      Delete
  2. This is a fantastic idea! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making this for my pregnant daughter but she hasn't deliver yet. Can you tell how much across you cut the fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thoughtful gift! It's a half yard, so 18 inches. The fleece will come doubled, so you'll alread have your two pieces if you ask for a half a yard! Happy seeing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do I know what zipper will work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an awesome project! Did you think this one up or find a pattern somewhere? Great job either way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I just photographed as I went and thought it all up.

    ReplyDelete